Types of United States (u.s.) Visas

Types of United States (u.s.) Visas

A visa is a primary requirement of a foreign national who is not a citizen of one of the twenty-seven coutries included in the Visa Waiver Program, not a citizen of Bermuda or Canada or anyone who has past criminal record, and wants to enter the United States.

There are mainly two types of visas namely: nonimmigrant and immigrant visa. A nonimmigrant visa is for temporary visits like business trips, work, tourism or studying while an immigrant visa is designed for people who want to obtain permanent residency in the United States without any time limitation.

Other Types of Visas

K Visas for Immediate Relatives

These are for people who have the intent to immigrate in the United States whereby the U.S. citizen will apply for a K temporary visa for the spouse or fiancee and unmarried children of spouse or fiancee.  It should also be noted that same sex partners of U.S. citizens are not recognized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).


This is the most common visa type. It is a temporary visa given to people who travel for business (B-1) and for pleasure (B-2).

L-1 Intracompany Transferee

This visa is granted for individuals who have worked for related companies abroad for at least a year in the past three years that will transfer to the United States to acquire a higher position, usually managerial or executive or for a specialized skill.


This is the type whereby employers petition employees who obtained the minimum requirement of  holding a bachelor's degree in a specific field. The employer needs to file a Labor Condition Application (LCA) with the Department of Labor before an H-1B petition can be made.

V Visas and Life Act

This type is for the final step of the Legal Permanent Resident process which is called adjustment of status. Form I-485 should be filed by the foreign national in question.

TN Visa for Canadians and Mexicans

The TN status facilitates the entry of Canadian and Mexican nationals who would like to travel or work in the United States. This classification was created by NAFTA and must require services from a NAFTA professional.

H&A ASSOCIATES, P.C     John D. Hu, Esq.http://www.hoolaw.com/

CHINA ADD: 4th floor, 2nd annex of Tianyu Garden, 136-142, Linhe Zhong Rd. Guangzhou

(U.S. Consulate General, Guangzhou)

CHINA(020)3885-3100/3122       FAX(020)6282-4077

NYC: (718)888-0399               LA: (626)280-5868

SF: (415)695-8884                LV: (702)368-6688

 Law Firm Introduction
 The Latest Visa Bulletin (Renew Every Month)
 List of Good News
 Contact Us